GENERAL PURPOSE OF POSITION:
The United Church of Christ, like many denominations, is facing a number of opportunities and challenges with regard to the changing role of church in society. As a result, it is not only imperative that the nature of these changes be observed and measured; but it is also crucial for the church to evaluate current practices and programs across its various settings in order to determine their relevance and impact for current and future ministry, as well as articulate best practices for vital ministry.
The Director will assist the United Church of Christ in making informed decisions by gathering and reporting relevant trends within the UCC, working with constituents to determine their data and assessment needs, developing metrics of impact and excellence as best practices for the denomination, and reporting on wider religious and societal trends as they pertain to the UCC and its ministry in the world. In this manner, the director will provide thought leadership, serve as a resource regarding information and trends, identify research gaps, and articulate pressing questions of importance in the overall cultivation of a “culture of research and assessment” within the national setting and among congregations, associations, conferences, and beyond.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Director will work with a team and constituents to:
- Work with and across all constituencies of the UCC and beyond to identify emerging research and assessment needs and to develop, direct, and coordinate an on-going program and strategies to meet those needs;
- Provide leadership, vision, and supervision for the CARD team;
- Oversee data collection, analysis, and reporting for the UCC national setting, including the development of the UCC Yearbook & Directory;
- Coordinate Annual Statistical Reports on the state of the denomination;
- Initiate and/or collaborate with relevant entities on selected social science research projects on new and emerging ministry issues, including the cultivation of grant-funded partnerships with UCC-related seminaries and faculty, religious non-profit research-based organizations, and other centers to conduct research on best practices for ministry
- Assist national, conference, association, local church, and other related settings in meeting their research and assessment needs by interpreting results of existing research, lifting up metrics and best practices for congregational ministry, consulting on the creation of surveys and other assessment methods, or making referrals to other sources of research assistance;
- Maintain close working relationships with the wider research community, forming collaborative research partnerships where applicable and serving as the main denominational contact for several on-going projects including the Faith Communities Today (FACT) Study and MissionInsite.
- Advanced degree in a social science or research-based field;
- Minimum 3 years applied research experience, including survey design and analysis, program evaluation, and report writing;
- Minimum 3 years management/supervisory experience; specific experience with team building and vision setting preferred
- Demonstrated understanding and knowledge of the United Church of Christ; membership or authorization in the United Church of Christ preferred
- Demonstrated understanding and knowledge of current research and trends in the field of religious and congregational research
- Ability to work well with people to determine their research needs;
- Ability to interpret implications of research findings for a variety of audiences, particularly local churches, associations, and conferences;
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team setting as well as independently;
- Effective time management and organization skills;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including public speaking ability and strong interpersonal skills;
- Excellent technological, computer, and video conferencing skills;
- Willingness to travel as authorized by supervisor.
- Employer paid health, dental, life, and pension benefits
- Consideration for remote location will be given
This job description is not intended to be a complete list of all duties and responsibilities required for the position and are subject to review and change at any time in accordance with the needs of the ministry. Since no job description can detail all duties and responsibilities that may be required from time to time in the performance of a position, duties and responsibilities that may be inherent in a position shall also be considered part of the position holder’s responsibility.
It is expected that the person who holds this position will conduct themselves in a manner consistent with the policies of the UCC and in a manner that will reflect positively on the organization. All staff are encouraged to nurture safety within the work performed on behalf of the UCC by being attentive to self-care, education, maintaining appropriate boundaries, and the importance of referring those in need to supportive and helpful resources.
The United Church of Christ, National Setting, is a Multicultural, Multiracial, Open and Affirming, Accessible to All, Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply, please submit an online application to: https://www.appone.com/MainInfoReq.asp?R_ID=1957835